Infrastructure: the ladies hostel provides accommodation for 350 students of our campus. The ladies hostels are located in a enclave of 8000sqm and with three building units of 1471.95sqm, 1370.36sqm & 1254.32sqm respectively. In the spacious and ventilated dining hall 100 students can dine at a time. The first building was established in the year 1974. Presently the three hostel blocks have a total enrollment of 320 graduate ladies. These buildings have been named as house of angels, palace of princess & house of junior angels.
Hostel Administration: the hostels have a chief warden: dr. Arasi rajesh, and three deputy warden: dr.sunitha, dr.latha & dr.jeeva. The student general secretary for the hostel is ms.d.mohan. The hostel association is now with the pre-final year graduate students.
Ragging free zone: we have a separate anti ragging committee headed by the general secretary.
House of Angels: established in the year 1974, consists of 3 floors with 18 rooms in each floor and a total accommodation of 54 (3 students per room). In addition each floor has a common room which can accommodate 6 students. Each floor is provided with adequate restroom facilities. The block has tv hall and a well equipped gymnasium.
House of Junior Angels: established in the year 1989, this serves as a separate hostel space for the fresher. This block has 15 rooms and 2 common rooms, with adequate restroom facilities
Palace of Princess: established in the year 2004 this hostel consists of 3 floors, and a total of 26 rooms. This block with adequate restroom facilities has a tv hall and a well equipped gymnasium. The hostel has 4 separate study room for the inmates.
Cafeteria: the hostel has a student’s cafeteria run by the students, with a well maintained dining hall which can accommodate 100 students at a time. The cafeteria is open from 7am to 10am in the morning for the breakfast, 12 noon to 2 pm for lunch, 4pm to 6pm for high tea and 7pm to 9pm for dinner. The students are practiced to being in the cafeteria on time.
Other Facilities: include two parking sheds for the bikes, a shuttle badminton court, laundry, lawn, purified drinking water facility, prayer hall, recreation hall, visitors hall and attached general stores for stationeries, cosmetics & snacks.
Hostel Security: hostel has 2 security agents in the morning and night and a gate room is provided for them. There is a 24*7 camera surveillance for the hostel.
Hostel Office: a separate office for hostel administration is present within the hostel with 2 staffs working from 10 am to 5 pm on all week days. The staff also include 2 housekeepers and 7 cleaning staffs work in the hostel.
Hostel Day: the graduate ladies hostel day is celebrated with pomp during the months of october. The day is named “cascade”
THE PREAMBLE : Tirunelveli Medical College is vested with the authority of managing the Graduate Hostels for both Ladies, and has authorised the Chief Warden to manage the affairs of the hostels. The Chief Warden is assisted by a team of Deputy Wardens, Assistant, Junior Assistant and Steno. Most of them shall normally be residents of the hostels. Maintenance of hostels and mess facilities are managed by the Office with the help of supervisory staff. The mission of the hostels shall be a healthy environment of commitment and discipline among the students and their security. The students are encouraged to live as a community in a spirit of tolerance, thus taking care of their psychological and emotional health to be better citizens. It is in this spirit and direction that the regulations are adopted to make living in the hostels memorable.
- The allotment of rooms will be made by the Chief Warden based on the application submitted by the candidate. Admission and continued stay in the hostel depend upon the academic performance, good behaviour and conduct of the student. The student should stay in the allotted room for one complete year. Change in rooms in mid-semester is not possible.
- The hostellers with chronic medical problems will be asked to vacate the room immediately as personal medical care by parent / guardian will be necessary.
- If a student is expelled from the college for any reason she should immediately vacate the hostel on the day of expulsion from the college. Her continuance in the hostel will be treated as unauthorised occupation.
- The hostellers themselves are personally responsible to safeguard their belongings. They are not to keep large amounts of cash or valuables like gold, costly wristwatch etc., in their rooms. They should also take care of their purse, calculators, cell phones, computers and books. In case of theft or loss of any items it should be reported to authorities. The hostellers are advised to keep their rooms, boxes, suitcases, cupboards, etc., securely locked with good quality locks.
- Continuation of stay of a student in the hostel is subject to the discretion of the administration.
GUESTS: Guests are not permitted to stay in any of the hostels. Parents/ Guardian visiting the student should remain in the visiting room of the hostel. Entry into the hostel blocks is not permitted.
CAFETERIA TIMING & RULES :
- All the students of the hostel should take their food in the CAFETERIA only.
- The meal timings are displayed at the entrance of the dining hall. These timings are to be strictly adhered to. It is not obligatory on the part of the kitchen/dining hall staff to serve the meals outside the prescribed timings.
- Dining hall furniture and utensils like stainless steel tumblers, plates, spoons etc., are not to be taken out of the dining hall. If anyone is found taking these dining hall properties out, she will be suitably penalized.
- The hostel kitchen is strictly "Out of Bounds" for the students/parents/guardians.
- Sick person will be served mess food in the room, only if the student registers their name with the Warden.
- The hostellers shall not waste food, electricity & water. Wastage of food is a national loss. If anyone is found indulging in such wastage, she will be asked to vacate the hostel, since wastage causes unnecessary and unavoidable expenditure to others.
DAMAGES & RECOVERY : Rough handling of dining hall furniture, room furniture or any furniture / property or fittings of the hostel is strictly forbidden. The cost of damages will be recovered in the following manner: If any individual or group is identified to have caused the damage, double the cost will be recovered from THE group. If damage is done in anyone of the rooms and the person(s) is not identified then double the cost will be recovered from the room-mates collectively. If a damage is done outside the rooms i.e., in common places like corridors, bathrooms, recreation halls, mess etc., and the person(s) is/ are not identified, then double the cost will be recovered, floor wise or block wise or on the whole, as the case may be. Repetition of damage to the hostel property will result in expulsion from the hostel.
HEALTH CARE : 24 hours Medical facility is available in the campus HOSPITAL. Any hosteller, who is not well, should report to the Warden for appropriate advice. If the sick person requires medical care at any time, CALL the Warden/ Deputy Warden for arranging the ambulance. If the situation warrants, admission to an outside hospital as inpatient, the same is to be reported to the Chief Warden immediately. If any sick hosteller requires special diet, the individual should inform the mess supervisor through the warden concerned for making suitable provisions.
PAYEMENT OF HOSTEL FEES :
- Caution Deposit: A sum fixed by the college will have to be paid towards Caution Deposit, which will be refunded, when the student vacates the hostel after deducting the dues, if any.
- Establishment Charges: The Establishment charges will have to be paid for each semester or each year as decided by the hostel committee. The amount once collected is not refundable on any account. The Hostel accounting month for the mess charges will be from 21st of a month to 20th of the following month.
- Mess Bills: The hostel charges for each month will be displayed in the hostel notice board by the 2nd of the following month. Hostel charges can be paid in Bank.
- Rebate on Mess Bills: Those who are absent from the hostel, for a period not less than three continuous days alone are eligible for rebate, provided the boarder produces a written authority from the Chief Warden before proceeding on the assignment which necessitates the absence from the campus.
RULES AND REGULATIONS :
- All movements from and to the hostels should be recorded in the movement register kept with the security guard at the entrance of the hostel and should be properly signed.
- No hosteller is permitted to stay out of the hostel beyond 9:00 pm ON ALL DAYS. The security guard has instructions to lock the gate after the stipulated timings as mentioned above.
- The hostellers are generally discouraged from going out of the hostels during weekends and holidays. However, if they want to leave the hostel, written permission has to be obtained from the Wardens/ Supervisors. Whenever they leave the hostel for vacations they have to inform the Chief Warden in writing about their travel plan. The girl students, are also required to obtain permission from the Warden after obtaining a FAX/EMAIL from the parent allowing the student to leave hostel. If they leave during working days approval of Professor & Head of the Departments and Chief Warden is a must. They are also required to return on the specified dates and submit the re-entry slips signed by their parents as an indication that they stayed with their Parents / Guardian during the weekends holidays/ vacations. In addition they have to make an entry of their "check out" and "check in" times in the movement register kept with the security guard. Parents should not encourage students to go to picnics/tours outside the hostels without permissions of the faculty and administration. If it is understood that there is tacit permission of the parent, the student shall stand expelled from the hostel.
- Adhering to in time rules of Ladies hostel: Email should be sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org, by the faculty concerned giving the details of the student and the time of entry into the hostel. This mail should be sent before 4 pm on the day of late entry.
- Students should take permission from wardens by submitting a letter giving the details of their outings. The outings can be entered in a register with the warden and the student should sign in the register after they return. Parents will be informed in case of frequent outings.
- Student should contact the Hostel Office regarding the Hostel ID. The students should leave the Hostel ID at the main gate in case they leave the campus and should collect the same from the security when entering. ID’s not collected at the main gate will be issued at the hostel office to the students only after proper explanation. In case of lost ID cards, the student should register her case at the office of the Students Hostel and a duplicate card will be issued after payment of Rs.200/-.
- Attendance: The attendance timing is 9.00 pm. All hostellers have to be present in their respective rooms and keep open the rooms between 9:00 pm &9:30 pm every day to enable the Supervisors to take the attendance. The attendance defaulters would be fined as follows:- Warning for the first time, Rs 200 for the second time, disciplinary action will be initiated from the third time.
- Strict silence should be observed between 10.00 pm & 6:00 am.
- The hostellers will be permitted to change their rooms only after Chief Warden’s approval.
- The hostel rooms are subject to inspection by the Hostel authorities to make sure that they are kept neat and tidy and no unauthorized items like drugs, lethal weapons etc., are kept in the room. Possession of any lethal weapons or any instrument / contrivance, which is likely to cause physical harm to others, is strictly prohibited.
- Perfect silence is to be maintained in the hostel premises including rooms, rest rooms, dining halls, corridors, common areas etc., Every student of the hostel should have the civic responsibility that she should not be a cause inconvenience, annoyance or disturbance to others.
- The hostellers should not enter into any unnecessary conversation, quarrel or altercation with the hostel staff. If anyone has any complaint against any employee of the hostel, a written complaint against the person is to be lodged with the Warden. Use of abusive, vulgar and unparliamentarily language against the hostel/mess staff is strictly forbidden. Any complaint received from staff/faculty towards students will be taken action seriously.
- If any hosteller is found indulging in any form of instigation / intimidation / threat to any other hostellers he / she will be asked to vacate the hostel forthwith. In this regard, the decision of the Chief Warden is final and binding on the individual's concerned.
- Day scholars are not allowed in the hostel. Hostellers should not encourage entry of day scholars.
- Celebrating birthday parties inside the hostel rooms is strictly prohibited. They can celebrate in only specified spaces in the hostel before 9pm after getting a written concern from their respective Wardens.
- Collection of donation for any purpose (Religious/ otherwise) is also strictly prohibited.
- Students are not allowed to play skating rollers and other outdoor games inside the hostel to prevent breakages and accidents. Sliding along the hand rails/rest of stairs and fast running/ climbing down should be totally avoided to prevent accidents.
- When leaving the rooms for attending classes or for vacation, etc., fans, electrical gadgets, lights etc., should be switched off. Windows are to be closed securely.
- Students absenting themselves from regular classes will have to take the permission of the Warden and communicate the information to the Chief Warden.
- Hostellers coming to the Hostel after the gate closing hours without prior permission or without valid reason would be fined. Regular late comers will not be allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Clock alarms should be switched off, when not in use. There have been instances when students have set the alarm and gone on long leave, and some of them ringing for hours and spoiling the peace of fellow hostellers.
- Water should be carefully used and not wasted.
- Wrong entry, improper / lack of entry in exit register, signing on behalf of another person, tampering with the entries, proxy attendance and misguidance of any nature are punishable. In case of any quarrel between or among room mates it should be reported to the Warden for appropriate action.
- Absentees / Latecomers (without prior permission from the Warden) will be suitably punished.
- Students coming late / or absent regularly will be expelled from the Hostel. Such students shall not be readmitted under any circumstances.
- At the time of starting of the course, no student should lock any room other than the officially allotted room. If the allotted room is a shared accommodation the student should inform the other student in the room or Warden whenever they are going out of the hostel. Students leaving the hostel after the exams or discontinuing their stay should never lock their rooms and cupboards.
- Students are not allowed to keep any electric power driven two wheeler vehicles in the hostel. The hostellers are not allowed to keep air coolers, musical instruments, cassette record players, and computers, TV, electric irons or any electrical equipment without written permission of the Chief Warden. Unauthorised possession will lead to confiscation of the goods.
- Use of Computers: Installation of computer systems in the hostel rooms should be done only after getting written permission from the Chief Warden. The usage of computer is for academic purpose only. The Hostel authorities will conduct surprise checks periodically and if anyone is found violating the above rule, disciplinary action will be taken against her.
- Use of cell phones: Ordinary cell phone could be used by the student but not inside the class rooms, examination halls, Laboratory, Library, offices and during silence hour in the hostel.
- Students should visit the hostel office only during visiting hours. Students should read the circulars put up at all blocks and be updated with the functioning of the hostel. Students are instructed to attend the General meetings of the hostel. It is mandatory for Members of the Students council who are hostellers and Mess committee members. Violation of any of these rules would result in punitive action and serious violations would be referred to the "Students Disciplinary Committee". The decision of the committee would however be final.